Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has thrown up all of his food today, No just his

Customer Question
My dog has thrown...

My dog has thrown up all of his food today

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No just his regular food. Ate his breakfast fine. 3 hrs later it came up undigested but otherwise he seemed fine. Then ate supper willing glycerin. Same thing happened 3 hrs later

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Ignore word glycerin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Pistol. He is 10.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

How much does he weigh?

Friend, vomiting of undigested food is called regurgitation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. Common causes are esophagus disorders, simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2mg per pound body weight every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit (regurgitate) after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian