Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a piece of fish off my plate when I wasn't

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a piece of fish off my plate when I wasn't looking and it had a chive sauce on it. I was worried as

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Didnr know how much it would take to make him sick

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Although chive is in the Allium family along with onion, garlic, and leeks, there wasn't nearly the amount of chive in that sauce to cause oxidative injury to his red blood cells leading to anemia a few days after ingestion. For example, it takes at least 5 grams of onions per kilogram of body weight for a dog to develop onion toxicosis. That's equivalent to 1 2/3 ounces of onions per 22 lbs of body weight. I don't see specific information for chive but I would expect a similar amount to need to be ingested for toxicosis to arise. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.