Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

If disconnected email is Nala has been diagnosed with the

Customer Question

If disconnected email is***@******.***
Nala has been diagnosed with the begininnig stages of Kidney disease. Vet has prescribed Kepaktin 60grms 1/2 tsp (1/2 tablet) every 24 hours Cerenia . I asked her vet if we could take her off the Cerenia and try the Slippery Elm Bark which is more natural and may be gentler to her system. They recommended once in the morning and once in the evening to see how she does. Her weight is 7.5 pounds as of last visit on July 16th, 2017.
On about July 22nd per vet advise we finshed her dosage of Cerenia and wished to proceed with the Slippery Elm Bark (bottle purchased by Natural Remedies. Their dosage however differs from the vet and suggests 4.5 times per day at dosage of 20ml.
Our current vet is non-hollistic and thus we are contacting you for a second opinion. Look forward to hearing from you if we are disconnected. Thanks, Sincerely ***** *****
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She is a breed of the ones that like the water, I forget. She is a cat of 7.5 pounds
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: She is a pet
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Nala
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nala?
Customer: Other than she had dentlal work July 6th.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I am familiar with using Slippery Elm Bark, so I can answer this question for Nala. Your question is if you should give it 4-5 times per day as recommended on the bottle or 2 times per day as per the veterinarian. Is that a correct summary?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nala is a cat.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I may cancel as I was not aware would be charged extra.

There is a small deposit, but no extra fees to what you originally agreed. There is an option for a phone call, which is automatically offered by the website, but you do not have to accept it. I am able to answer your question without a phone call. Regarding Slippery Elm, this treatment is given as needed, but it is usually started at a low dose like twice daily. That is why you are seeing the discrepancy. Some cats are fussy about taking it in their food, and working up from the lower dose works better. Starting with twice daily and then working up to 4-5 times per day if necessary is recommended.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help - at no extra cost :). If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry