Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My vet says my dog has high blood count, and liver enzymes

Customer Question
my vet says my dog...
my vet says my dog has high white blood count, and liver enzymes are askewed. She's been on medication and she is going for a 3 blood test, He said he may have to do an ultra scan...not sure why
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: She was not eating, barking, or acting normal. Been on meds 2 weeks and is back to eating and acting normal. White Blood count is high, and liver enzymes off - after 2 blood test.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Savannah, she is sheltie and chow mix and 5 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She is eating and drinking normally
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The elevated white blood cell count indicates inflammation and not necessarily the inflammation associated with infection. Elevated liver enzymes indicate hepatocellular damage and/or biliary stasis (sludging) but not the cause of the damage/stasis. An ultrasound can "see" the structure of the liver, the biliary system (bile ducts, gall bladder), pancreas, and nearby intestinal tract which can help clarify why those changes were seen in the white count and liver enzymes. In addition, an ultrasound-guided needle biopsy can be performed if anything abnormal is seen.

That said, if Savannah has normalized, I see no reason not to simply continue to monitor her and recheck her complete blood count and liver enzymes in 2-3 weeks. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian