Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

My 2 year dog has ate a tub of butter this morning, He has

Customer Question

Hi, my 2 year dog has ate a tub of butter this morning, He has thrown up twice but I had to leave for work. Is he likely to be ok?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kobi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: The sick was very greasy/buttery so I assume he has thrown most it back up. No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 2 months ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Eating a tub of butter is not necessarily toxic, but it is a big ingestion of fat all at once. If he has already vomited that is good and will minimise the amount of fat he is exposed to.

I would advise starving him for 24hrs before offering a light diet for the next few days

- plain boiled chicken and rice, a little scrambled egg, plain white fish or light cottage cheese.
This can help take the strain off an irritated stomach and help things settle down.
Giving ranitidine (zantac) 2-3 times daily as an antacid approximately 1 hour before his meals can help things settle down too.
It should be available over the counter at most pharmacies. For a 100lb dog I would recommend a dose of ~100mg 2-3 times daily.
You should be seeing an improvement over the next few days. At that point, you can start to re-introduce his normal food.

If he continues to vomit over the next 24 hours especially if he is not keeping water down, I would recommend having him checked over by your vet.