Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 11 year old beagle just at about 6 cups of dog food. He

Customer Question
My 11 year old beagle...
My 11 year old beagle just at about 6 cups of dog food. He is bloated!!! This certainly isn't the first time he's done such a thing, but I am somewhat concerned because of his age. What should I do?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
It was our puppy's food��. He is also having slightly labored breathing
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear that your companion has consumed so much food. Are you seeing any symptoms at this time aside from the slightly labored breathing?

Just very bloated

Thank you for the additional information. We usually recommend fasting a pet for a full 24 hours to allow the food to move through. If this happens again, please avoid giving water as this can cause further swelling of the kibble and make the pet more uncomfortable. This is likely why the labored breathing began, due to discomfort (either from the kibble or the kibble with added water). If no other symptoms arise, monitoring at home should be a reasonable course of action. That said, if you see nausea, vomiting, attempts to vomit without production, panting and pacing, refusal to lay down, etc. Jagger needs to be examined immediately. For some dogs consuming this much kibble can be life-threatening, though it's common for large volumes of food to not cause a critical state in most dogs that over eat.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Hi Jennifer,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jagger. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is Jagger?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse