Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

All of a sudden my 7 year old Shih Tzu's mouth is watering…

Customer Question
All of a sudden...

All of a sudden my 7 year old Shih Tzu's mouth is watering excessively. Is this a serious issue?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Shih Tzu?

Sudden excessive watering from the mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Shih Tzu seem to hurt?

He doesn't appear to be in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the Shih Tzu's name?

Boh

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any nausea or vomiting?
2) Is he willing to eat and drink well?
3) Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys? Stressful changes to the environment?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. No vomiting
2. Has not yet had anything to eat or drink
3. No changes to diet. No to everything in this question.

How long has it been since your companion consumed food or water?

How long since your companion last had a professional dental cleaning?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Boh is eating treats and drinking water.He has not had a professional teeth cleaning, but his Vet has said that his teeth are in good shape. He does get daily dental chews.

Thank you for the additional information. Drooling is commonly linked to both nausea and periodontal problems. So, yes, it can be a serious problem. At 7 years of age, it would be uncommon for a smaller breed dog not to be in need of a routine cleaning. I would certainly have your vet examine the mouth for discomfort and abnormalities and determine if a cleaning is needed or if this might be nausea. You did mention that Boh is eating treats but not his food, is this correct?

.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is correct. Eating treats, but no food.

And the regular food that is offered, is that a soft or dry type of food?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has access to a plate of dry food and a plate of wet (soft) food.

Unfortunately, the desire to eat treats and avoiding regular foods can both be a sign of nausea and also of oral discomfort. In cases of both nausea and discomfort, dogs typically will prefer to ingest only enticing food options. I think the best approach here is going to be an examination with your vet. This will give your vet a chance to examine the mouth and determine if anything has changed since the last examination and if discomfort is present. If not, anti-nausea medications can be given.

If you wish to try something at home, I would administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with any nausea that's present. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 If he eats following this medication (typically 2-4 hours following), you're likely seeing symptoms of nausea. You can use the famotidine daily which should improve his desire to eat. If it does not, this suggests oral pain is present and an examination will be indicated.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800