Denise Cudiamat
Denise Cudiamat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

I had recently taken my dog in as the hair around his muzzle

Customer Question

I had recently taken my dog in as the hair around his muzzle was getting thin and he a circular bald spot with a small bump. The vet ran skin culture and prescribed smiplf antibiotics as he said it was a skin infection and did not think it was mage or ringworm. His antibiotics was for a week and after his hair seemed to be growing backs. But this week small scabs started to appear and when I would touch them the hair would fall off and he has small bald spots. I say they are scabs as they appear to be bleeding and scabbing over. It does not appear to bother him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Cudiamat replied 2 months ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I'm here to help with your concerns regarding Sydney.

Where on his muzzle was the affected area of skin (on the top, near his mouth, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the top like the bridge of his nose

Ok, a few different things could be happening for Sydney.

He may be healing normally with hair falling out around the edges as the skin heals.

If bacterial, the infection may be spreading to a larger area. Especially if there are open/bleeding sores. He may need a longer course of his antibiotics.

There may be something more than a bacterial infection occurring for Sydney. Ringworm is a potential fungal infection that can cause hair to fall out and create scabs.

In all, a recommend a progress exam with your veterinarian as soon as possible so that his skin can be assessed and additional diagnostics (like a skin impression or skin scraping) can be performed, and additional treatment prescribed if needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi when I had gone to the vet they did a skin culture and did not note anything abnormal in the test results. So he had 1 week course of antibiotics and he seemed to be healing a couple of weeks after with hair growth and it appears these mini scabs are reappearing. Does that mean the antibiotics did not work if it came back? The vet did not think it was ringworm after viewing under a Uv light

If it has been several weeks since finishing the antibiotics and now the mini scabs are appearing, it may be that the antibiotics worked to control 80-90% of the infection, but now the bacteria is growing again. Sydney may need a longer course of antibiotics to control the infection to resolution.

I'm glad that your vet did not the infection was consistent with ringworm after the Wood's lamp. If the scabs and irritation to not improve entirely with additional treatment (oral antibiotics +/- topical ointment), I would recommend a DTM culture to completely rule out ringworm, as it is contagious to people.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sydney. How is everything going?

Denise Cudiamat