Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 6 year old overweight half siberian husky and

Customer Question
boxer. She has been...
I have a 6 year old overweight half siberian husky and boxer. She has been running and doing fine. This evening we noticed that she cannot stand on one of her hind legs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: She seems to be in a little pain. Is there any over the counter medicine I an give her?
JA: What is the Siberian Husky's name?
Customer: Alexis
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Alexis?
Customer: She has had all her shots and is given heart worm pills monthly. She gets her appointments as required from her veternarian. My husband and I are getting a little worried because this happened all of a sudden. Alexis went outside this morning and was fine.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there. I'm Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I'm happy to help with your concerns regarding Alexis. Just a moment as I review your question thoroughly and prepare my response.

Alexis must be a beautiful girl as a half Siberian husky, half boxer.

I understand that Alexis is experiencing an acute lameness of one of her hind legs. Is she bearing weight at all on the affected foot when walking to standing?

To answer your initial question, unfortunately, there is not a safe over the counter medication that I can recommend for Alexis. If she is sore on one leg and not bearing weight, or only bearing minimally she may have either a soft tissue sprain or ligament tear. These most commonly occur in the knees of middle-aged to older dogs and can be more common in overweight dogs. You can place a cool pack on the Alexis' affected knee this evening to help reduce any swelling and provide some pain relief.

If she is still limping in the morning, I recommend taking her to your veterinarian to be evaluated further. She may need x-rays or pain/anti-inflammatory medication.

Best of luck to you and Alexis!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian