Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog started this morning off with diarrhea about 3 loose

Customer Question

My dog started this morning off with diarrhea about 3 loose watery stools. I gave him half of an Imodium pill. We traveled 5 hours in the car and once we got home he was okay. I saw him eating grass outside and then we went back in the house. Immediately after he threw up liquid. Since then in about 2 hours he has thrown up 4 times clear liquid. He even looks like he doesn't feel good. He has not ate or drank all day. I was wondering should I just monitor him for now or how long before I need to bring him in to the vet? What could be going on? Very concerned since he is old in age, although he doesn't have health issues
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is he?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is 15. No he doesn't have any pre existing medicinal conditions. The only thing he has is a little bit of cataracts , that's all. He has Never had any kind of issues

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting, and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. In an older dog, we need to rule out systemic diseases like kidney or liver disease, tumors, hormonal disorders, infections, etc. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need to have a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, blood work and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. I would strongly recommend having him checked as soon as you can. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, he can continue to have water, do not feed him for 8-12 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the feedback, I knew he would need more info like blood work to figure out what's really going on but will have to wait in the morning when the vet opens. I was just very concerned since he hadn't drank all day, and having diarrhea and vomiting... and wasn't sure if it was a bad thing that I have him half a pill of Imodium this afternoon. he hasn't thrown up for about an hour now and is sleeping. Will it be okay if I wait bring him to the vet in the morning?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also, is 10mg Pepcid okay for a dog that is about 27 lbs?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I meant 17lbs***

In any case of diarrhea in which we have not identified the cause for diarrhea it is not a good idea to give Imodium. You see, if the diarrhea is being caused by an infection or ingestion of a foreign body stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worse.

I am a bit concerned about his hydration. But, if you feed him or give him water too soon he will continue to vomit and lose electrolytes in the vomit making things worst. So, the first thing is to address the vomiting to get him to drink and hold the water down as described above. Ideally, he should be on IV fluids.

As far being okay until the morning, this is very difficult for me to predict as I have not examined him. But, if he is very lethargic and out of it I would not wait; I would have him checked by ER veterinarian.