Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has an infection from some kind of bite. His vet

Customer Question
My dog has an...

My dog has an infection from some kind of bite. His vet prescribed antibiotics and rimadyl for pain however he keeps wanting to bite his tail because of the itching can I give him some Benadryl as well

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

He wasn't on flea medication

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

I only want to know if it's ok to give him Benadryl if he's taking an anti inflammatory medication

Veterinarian's Assistant: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?

He's 7 he weighs about 59 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Brett

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Brett is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Benadryl would be compatible with both the antibiotics and Rimadyl and there should be no adverse reactions between them. Benadryl could well help in your dog's current situation as it could help reduce the level of itching and also it has slight sedative properties.

2. A typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day. { Thus 59 mg in your case }

3. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Brett's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Brett is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Benadryl ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott