Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She was sleeping last night and out of no where she woke up…

Customer Question
She was sleeping last...

She was sleeping last night and out of no where she woke up yelping and ran to the living room. She's not showing any sign that there's a pain like limping or anything but she was less active then normal today, ate just fine, but Harding went outside to go to the bathroom, but when I took her out she went just fine it was just when picked up that she would yelp.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Roxi 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Roxi is her name

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxi?

No shes been just fine no other issues

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian
Hi. I'm Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I'm glad to help with your concerns regarding Roxi. Just a moment while I review your question and prepare a response.
Okay thanks

I'm sorry to hear that Roxi was acting oddly last night and less active today?

What breed is she? weight?

Has she continued to show any signs today and this evening?

How's her appetite? Any diarrhea?

No she was just fine. Went on a walk and then she lays under the bed to sleep and out of no where runs out from under the bed and yelps then went and slept on the couch. She's a Pomeranian and she weighs about 25 pounds. She's eating just fine no diarrhea and today she was less active then normal. She is usually very active plays a lot and runs around today she just laid on the couch and went outside a couple times to go to the bathroom. I had to pick her up tonight to take her out and she yelped when I picked her up to bring her back inside
She's not limping or anything

Ok, that is understandably concerning. So far, her symptoms have been rather vague. It is possible that her yelping and darting away could be from abdominal pain or back/nerve pain. Since she is still eating/drinking/urinating/defecating normally, and has had no vomiting. I recommend that you continue to monitor her closely.

If she develops any new symptoms, I recommend taking her to your veterinarian for an exam to determine if the source of her discomfort can be identified and is repeatable.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is Roxi doing today?

-Dr. Denise

She's still acting different. Took her to the vet today and they didn't know what was wrong and gave her some medicine to take. She won't climb out from under the bed unless the frame is lifted up and when she runs she will start yelping but there's no limp or anything.

Thank you for the update. I'm sorry to hear that she's still acting strangely.

Were any diagnostics performed for Roxi today? (bloodwork, xrays)?

What medication is she taking now?

Still no other symptoms other than the acting different and hiding?

No they didn't do anything but feel around. Said that they didn't notice anything. No she's eating, drinking, and no diarrhea. You can just tell something hurts on her. She's normally very active and she didn't want to play at all. Maybe just hurt her back from trying to get out from under the bed or something.

That is my suspicion as well, that she may have injured her back. Dogs with back pain can react in ways very similar Roxi.

I assume she was dispensed a pain medication today.

I hope she takes it well for you and that with rest her pain subsides and she returns to her normal energetic self.

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian