Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I noticed a red bump near my chihuahuas anus, she keeps

Customer Question
I noticed a red...

I noticed a red bump near my chihuahuas anus

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your Chihuahua?

She keeps licking it i noticed the red bump today

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your Chihuahua seem to hurt?

The bump is near her anus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Just the bump

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your Chihuahua eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is your Chihuahua having trouble peeing or pooing?

Not that i have noticed she kept sliding her bum earlier in the floor

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is your Chihuahua behaving differently?

I havent noticed anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Samantha and she is four years old

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

ok

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Samantha is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The chances are that what you are dealing with here is an anal gland abscess, this quite a common problem in the dog and given your description I would be very surprised if this does not turn out to be the case. However there are other possible diagnosis so your best plan is take Samantha to be checked over by your vet at next regular hours consult.

2. If this turns out to be the diagnosis then while uncomfortable for your dog this is rarely a very serious sort of situation as it can be easily treated and very rarely has any long term consequences.

3. The best way to resolve an anal gland abscess would be by having your vet take a look who if appropriate will prescribe a course of antibiotics. This would very rarely be an ER type of situation so you could safely wait for a regular hours consult when your vet is open next.

4. In the meantime if Samantha will let you until you can get to a vet you could poultice the area with warm salt water three or four times a day for at least five minutes a session and carry this on for a couple of days. Use warm water from the tap and saturate it with table salt. Just use kitchen paper soaked in the salt solution and change it frequently so it holds the heat. Once you have done this gently dry the area and apply the likes of neosporin into any open areas if the abscess bursts which most of them will do. { By the way I have known clients successfully resolve anal gland abscesses on their own in this way }

5. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Samantha's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

thanks

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Samantha is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the bump near her anus ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian