Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

American Lab mix had swallowed some sort of object and had…

Customer Question
American Lab mix had...

American Lab mix had swallowed some sort of object and had emergency surgery to take it out about one and one half weeks ago. Came home was fine and all of a sudden would not eat or drink. Took back to the vet and had an X-ray and barium test. Today he came home from vet and still will not eat or drink, throwing up, lethargic and drooling. Have another appointment in the morning. What can we do tonight while waiting for morning. Does Barium cause problems like this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Laying down, cannot have a bowel movement, sad eyes.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear this.

I would want to get an ultrasound in the morning to look for free fluid in the abdomen. I wonder if there is a leak at the surgery site. If so, then we have to go back in and repair it- it's uncommon, but it happens from time to time.

If the ultrasound is normal, then it may be that he just needs some additional anti-nausea meds and time.

For tonight, I would just offer water- no food. If he doesn't drink, that's ok. Just have it available for him. If you want to give something to help settle his stomach, you can give over the counter Pepcid (Famotidine)- 10 mg orally.

The barium soothes the stomach, so this is not from the barium. Something else is going on.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Ok the ultra sound was the plan for the morning. We had wondered if this was a side affect from the barium. We can keep an eye on him until we take him in. Hopefully the ultra sound is clear .
Thank you for the addvice and info we could not find anything on barium for dogs it self only in humans.

No, it's not the barium- it's something else causing the vomiting. I hope he doesn't need another surgery, but if he does that should fix the issue.

i understand it was not the barium, we had just thought it was before you informed us. But anyways we will get it figured out by tomorrow while performing an ultra sound. Thank you again

You're welcome. Happy to help.