Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He stayed at a dog boarding hotel over the weekend, where it…

Customer Question
He stayed at a...

He stayed at a dog boarding hotel over the weekend, where it has been confirmed that at least one other dog was not well. The back of his neck is swollen and he has vomited 3 times today.. the last 2 x times it was just yellow foam

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

He was fed at the dog hotel, I don't believe it was anything unusual

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Gizmo - 6.5 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

You mean breed? Shiba inu

You mean breed? Shiba inu

You mean breed? Shiba inu

You mean breed? Shiba inu

You mean breed? Shiba inu

You mean breed? Shiba inu

It feels like his glands in his neck are swollen

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like this may just be a gastroenteritis bug and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs.

This is what I would do for now:
1. With hold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.

If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes and getting an exam and work up would be ideal. I would check the lymph nodes behind the knees and in front of the shoulders. If those also feel enlarged, then ruling out Lymphoma would be ideal. I think it's unlikely, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Gary,
Can i purchase Pepcid at a pharmacy? Can it be for humans?

Yup, it's the same stuff we use ourselves.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

I've checked over his body and the only part that is swollen is the back of his neck. i couldn't feel anything behind his knees or in front of his shoulders

Ok good. I'm not sure what is swollen up there as it's only fat and muscle. The lymph nodes are under the jaw- the sub-mandibular nodes.

I'm less worried if it's up on the back of the neck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hi Gary, gizmo is all good. Stopped vomiting, has had a bit of diarrhea but in the road to recovery