Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Dog had a light seizure sat.nite,has a for off look,blood in

Customer Question

dog had a light seizure sat.nite,has a for off look,blood in both eyes.slightly clearing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Little Bit,5 yrs. old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is dachset
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Little?
Customer: she wants to be held,and will not eat her dog food
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like that may have been a partial seizure. With a full grand mal seizure, we usually see full body tremors and urination/ defecation. We also see a post-ictal period after the seizure where they are uncoordinated and wobbly and sometimes partially blind. This can last for minutes to hours.

When a dog has one seizure, we don't worry too much. Just keep a log on what it looked like and how long it lasted. If it's epilepsy, the most common cause of seizures in dogs, then it may continue and eventually get to the point where meds are needed. This is when they are happening at least once every 1-2 months. At that point we use Phenobarbital to manage it.

Here is some nice info on seizures in dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.