How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19798
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an 85 pound Rottweiler who is 8 years old. I just

Customer Question

I have an 85 pound Rottweiler who is 8 years old. I just accidentally gave her way to much zimectrin gold wormer. I'm not sure how much bc I was trying to wipe it out of her mouth and then I flushed her mouth with the water hose. What negative side effects should I look for? Should we go to the emergency vet?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Rottweiler?
Customer: She accidentally ingested too much zimectrin gold wormer
JA: The Expert will know if the Rottweiler will be able to digest that. What is the Rottweiler's name?
Customer: Free
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Rottweiler?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

What is the active ingredient in the dewormer?

How much (in mg) do you think she got?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ivermectin 1.55 percent
Praziquantel 7.75 percent
Contents will treat a 1250 lb horse
Mg are not listed
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Ok thanks.

Ok, yeah, that can be pretty toxic and life threatening.

First off, try to induce vomiting by giving 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide orally.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

After that, you need to get to a vet to start IV fluids, give activated charcoal to bind the toxin and also give something called Intralipids to pull that Ivermectin out of the blood stream.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the toxic dose for ivermectin
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

With aggressive and rapid care, you can get her to survive this. Just be warned, I have had dogs take many days in the hospital and some over a week on a ventilator before they survived. It's a tough toxicity to treat as it stays in the body a long time.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

The toxic dose is 0.2-1 mg per kg or 8-40 mg in your dog.

1.55% is 15.5 mg per mL. It sounds like you gave much more than the 3 mL that it would take to get to the high end of the toxic dose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Must go to the store for hydrogen peroxide what signs of toxicity should I look for and how fast is the onset
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

If you don't have any, then I would just take the dog to a vet now. Signs can start within an hour or two.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary