Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an 85 pound Rottweiler who is 8 years old. I just…

Customer Question
I have an 85...

I have an 85 pound Rottweiler who is 8 years old. I just accidentally gave her way to much zimectrin gold wormer. I'm not sure how much bc I was trying to wipe it out of her mouth and then I flushed her mouth with the water hose. What negative side effects should I look for? Should we go to the emergency vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Rottweiler?

She accidentally ingested too much zimectrin gold wormer

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the Rottweiler will be able to digest that. What is the Rottweiler's name?

Free

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

What is the active ingredient in the dewormer?

How much (in mg) do you think she got?

Ivermectin 1.55 percent
Praziquantel 7.75 percent
Contents will treat a 1250 lb horse
Mg are not listed

Ok thanks.

Ok, yeah, that can be pretty toxic and life threatening.

First off, try to induce vomiting by giving 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide orally.

After that, you need to get to a vet to start IV fluids, give activated charcoal to bind the toxin and also give something called Intralipids to pull that Ivermectin out of the blood stream.

What is the toxic dose for ivermectin

With aggressive and rapid care, you can get her to survive this. Just be warned, I have had dogs take many days in the hospital and some over a week on a ventilator before they survived. It's a tough toxicity to treat as it stays in the body a long time.

The toxic dose is 0.2-1 mg per kg or 8-40 mg in your dog.

1.55% is 15.5 mg per mL. It sounds like you gave much more than the 3 mL that it would take to get to the high end of the toxic dose.

Must go to the store for hydrogen peroxide what signs of toxicity should I look for and how fast is the onset

If you don't have any, then I would just take the dog to a vet now. Signs can start within an hour or two.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian