Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Despite having a/c running, she is panting and pacing.

Customer Question

Despite having a/c running, she is panting and pacing. Slight whimpering with her tail between her legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds that I can see
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Xena and 9 years
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Xena is her name pronounced Zeena
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Xena?
Customer: Loose stool at least a week and about 3 weeks ago began taking Miconazole .5 ML 2x a day for an ear infection. This has since cleared.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What breed is Xena?
2) Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys? Stressful changes to the environment?
3) Any nausea or vomiting?
4) Is she eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi. Xena is a full pit bull.
No new food or treats. She has been having some rice mixed in her food since her stools have been loose the last 2 days but we have done that prior with no
problem. No torn toys or extra stress.
No vomiting. Is trying to eat pieces of tall grass outside. Eating and drinking normally. When she lays on her left side she squealed in pain. No cut to paws. Maybe ear infection. I dont know.

Panting and pacing can be a sign of discomfort and of nausea. Eating grass outside is usually a sign of nausea and the fact that she's had some soft stool makes me suspicious of a GI upset. To clarify, has she had any human food at all in the last few days?

Has the vocalization remained a concern or was this only a one-time incident?

Is she still playing? taking stairs and walking at a normal pace with normal stance?