Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 year old Bischon has inflammation in his right shoulder…

Customer Question
My 9 year old...

My 9 year old Bischon has inflammation in his right shoulder and walking with a limp. I given him (2) 81 mg aspirin the lady two evenings. Is it ok to give him a Pervicox 57 mg tonight? This was prescribed by his vet in April 2017 for pain/inflammation . Just want to be safe.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound it is his shoulder due to arthritis. He jumped to run to the door and aggravated the shoulder.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Bichon's name?

Uno

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Bichon?

Our vet prescribed in April of this year for same Pervicox 57 mg. I want to make sure it is ok since I have given him an 81mg aspirin the last two days that I can give him a Pervicox 57 mg as well tonight.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Thank you! I love my dog and have never used this service before. Hope you are a trustworthy centenarian service and will provide me with a good answer.
Thank you

Hello again,

Rest assured this is a reputable service, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Previcox belongs to the general class of drugs known as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Other drugs in this class include aspirin. Basically you should not give Previcox and aspirin at the same time as this will lead to NSAID overdose and potential damage to your dog's stomach lining. Read more on how this drug is used in dogs via this link : LINK

2. The best thing to do is to start the Prevocox 12 hours after the last aspirin dose, but do not give the two together.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Uno's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I was alerted by my credit card company this is a fraud alert! How do you explain the fraud alert

My role here is to help the clients with their veterinary questions, but I have no access to the pricing and site administration.

I can assure you that Just Answer is a reputable service but if you need further information the best thing to do is contact our customer care team.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Uno is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Previcox ......

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott