Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Has a tumor and can't pass poop. What can I do, Lab, Yes.

Customer Question
Has a tumor and can't...
Has a tumor and can't pass poop. What can I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Lab
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes. Black lab dog
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bubba. 12.5 years old. Dr said he has a large mass. Said to keep him on stool softener but he isn't passing anything
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubba?
Customer: We are giving him pumpkin canned food and milk trying to keep things soft
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What stool softeners are being used and how often?

When did he last defecate?

We are using meta mucil 2 or 3 times a day each time we feed him canned food or canned pumpkinWe took him to the vet 1 week ago and they gave him an enema and cleaned him out. They also did blood work and his white blood count was way off. Told us the mass was most likely cancer. He has pooped just little bits in the last week and now just a drip or so
Other than that he is gull of life

I would urge you to talk to your vet about using medication like lactulose to soften the stool further. Depending on the size of the mass, he may eventually reach a point of having a complete bowel blockage at which point you may have no option but to consider euthanasia. His stools should be soft enough to make it around the mass and pass from his body. If he's not passing anything but a tiny bit of stool he needs to be rechecked by your vet. Another enema or manual evacuation may be needed at this stage.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is Bubba today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse