Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I believe that my dog has eaten a chicken bone or a piece of…

Hi there, I believe...

Hi there, I believe that my dog has eaten a chicken bone or a piece of it. As we were out for a walk today, she was sniffing the grass as usual and before I knew it I realized she was chewing on something. I tried to take whatever it was out of her mouth with no luck, she chewed it up and swallowed it so quickly. I did not actually see what was in her mouth so it couldn't have been too large I don't think and she ate it so quickly. As I looked down on the grass near her, I saw a chicken wing so I thought that must be what she had eaten and now I am very worried. This happened just before noon today it's 6:30 pm now. She seemed to be fine afterwards, she had her regular meal for breakfast and has been sleeping for majority of the day but I don't know if we are in the clear yet so I needed some advice

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She is 11 yrs 5 mos old, Shih Tzu Pomeranian. Thank you

8/1/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

thank you very much

Hello again,

Hopefully your dog will get away with this, most do, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, monitor your dog and see what happens. In my experience most dogs will get way with this, but this is all you can now do at present as it is not recommended to make dogs sick to recover solid sharp objects like the chicken bone as this could cause damage to the throat on the way back up.

2. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers. For your dog to swallow this piece of chicken bone whole she would have to crunch it into smaller pieces and normally they should pass OK. Also some digestion and softening of chicken bones is possible in your dog's stomach and this will greatly help as well.

3. However there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems. You would be therefor wise to monitor your dog for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms. This would be unlikely though ...

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Ok thank you. I have read numerous articles online about this and I have noticed some one them saying that I should give my dog some soft bread or rice I think to help it pass through. Is this true?
I guess this would be to "cushion" the sharp objects. If so, how does this impact her if I were to give it to her 7 hours after the incident as opposed to right away? By now would the bones have passed through the digestive tract or is it not too late to give her the bread to help?

That is true but it will only be effective if given within the first two hours after ingestion, the idea is that the bread or rice will form round the bone fragment and so help protect your dog's intestinal tract. But by now the bone fragment will have moved further down your dog's tract.

Regards,

Dr Scott

essentially at this point, if it's too late for the bread, we are still not in the clear until she has passed it? If she has gotten it through her digestive tract by now, are there any other risks from now until she poops them out?

Yes at this point it is too late for the bread to do much good, but there is no harm in trying it anyway.

As I said surprisingly in my experience most dogs do seem to get away with this sort of incident even when they eat quite a few bones or even a whole chicken carcass as they sometimes do, but it is very much a plus point that it was only a small fragment in your dog's case.

All you need do is to keep an eye on your dog over the next few days, there are risks of damage to your dog's intestinal tract if the bone fragment is sharp, but this would be quite rare.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Ok thank you very much for your help. I am hoping this will pass through her with no problems. If she seems to have no problems in 72 hours or so is it safe to assume we are in the clear?

That would normally be the case ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
ok thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?