Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a 20 lbs Westie who is 14 years old. He has hurt his

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 20 lbs Westie who is 14 years old. He has hurt his front paw - I think by jumping off the bed. I have some oxicodone pills from my back surgery and was wondering if I could give him a quarter pill or something... he can hardly walk.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, no wound.
JA: The Expert will know what to do. What is the Westie's name?
Customer: Bear
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Westie?
Customer: No, he just was examined by my vet and is in good health, just old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Oxycodone can be safely administered at a dose of 0.05 mg per pound of body weight (1 mg for Bear) at 6-12 hour intervals. It's best not to exceed that dose in a 14 year old who is likely to become quite sedate and possibly ataxic ("drunken sailor") after receiving the 1 mg. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much!

You're quite welcome. I'll think good thoughts for Bear.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?