Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog Nellie, has had a skin issue for the last 10 months,

Customer Question

My dog Nellie, has had a skin issue for the last 10 months, shedding in excess, dry scaling skin, but not red nor is she scratching. She has been to the vet and was dipped and we have been washing her with head and shoulders. We dipped her again yesterday [lime sulfur dip] She also swims in the Chesapeake bay. What can we do? Donna
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nellie she takes nexgaurd for flea and ticks, no shampoos
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Shes a black lab 2 years old , 94lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Nellie has been having dry, shedding, and scaly skin for the last 10 months and treatment with Head and Shoulders shampoo and lime sulfur dip has not helped. Is that a correct summary? Can you also tell me if any diagnostic tests have been performed such as a skin scrape or fungal culture?

Also, what kind of food is Nellie eating?