Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Thought this to have been a seizure, but now don't think so.

Customer Question
Thought this to have...

Thought this to have been a seizure, but now don't think so. Maddie, 12 year old yellow lab, 1:30 a,m, leaves her bed, staggers, cannot stand, lies down on her belly, eyes are wandering rapidly, she does not seem to hear me. This lasted until about 3 a.m. Gave her a Gabaphenton at 2:15 a.m. Slowly begins to struggle to stand about 3 and staggers to move to another room. Sleeps there till 6 a.m. Is able to move but is stiff, slow and very wary. Eyes are fine but she does not respond to my calling her. About 7 a.m.she is able to go out and pee, but moves very slowly. Ate a small breakfast at 7:30. Has been asleep most of the time since.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Maddie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddie?

She has been licking her front paws a lot for several days. Had surgery last thurs. to remove an anal cyst; benine; all going well there.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

Does Maddie have any history of back problems? Why has she been prescribed gabapentin?

Good morning . Maddie has no history of back problems. the gabaphentin was on hand because sister's dog had seizures. Maddie has had no further episodes. She is now jumping up onto "our" bed, eyes are clear, appetite fine. Only difference I see in her is she is sleeping a bit more and her sleep is very deep. Her surgery site is healing nicely. Is it possible she had a blood clot from that to cause this problem?
Do not charge my credit card any more.
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 6 months ago

I doubt a blood clot from the surgery would cause these issues, how is she doing now?

Maddie is doing very well now. Occasionally favors right hind leg, but otherwise moving and even running well.
Dog Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 6 months ago
Amber Hinson

Hi there. Do you still need additional assistance? After reading you question it seems to me like Maddie was showing signs of vestibular syndrome. Her age and the fact that you mentioned rapid eye movement was what clued me in.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/vestibular-disease-dogs

I'm glad she appears better. What surgery did she have? I agree with the other vet that a clot is not likely.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask! Best wishes!

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian