Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3 year old french mastiff has been diagnosed with kidneys…

Customer Question
My 3 year old...

My 3 year old french mastiff has been diagnosed with kidneys of a 13 year old dog. He is getting fluid therapy now but what can I do after this. His creatinine level is getting lower but I'm devastated

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Mastiff's name?

Wilbur

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wilbur?

They are treating him for hypertension as well

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor Wilbur,

This is such a common issue these days as dogs are living longer. Still further to his current fluid treatment, I'd note that there are some home care options and medical management we can use. To start, if his blood pressure is elevated you are right to treat that. From there, you can consider changing him to a diet that will be less stressful on the kidneys. Usually we aim to feed low protein/phosphorus/sodium. There are a number of diets (ie Hills K/D, Royal Canin Renal, Purina NF) and any of those would be ideal for him. Or you can check his favorite senior diets and select one with low levels of each of those above components. Otherwise, there are some medications you can consider (ie Azodyl, phosphate binders, Benazapril) and your vet can advise you based on his blood work which are best to help him. Finally, you can actually keep giving small doses of fluids at home to support his kidneys flushing out toxins and working the best they can. To see how to do this, I'd advise a peek at this video (HERE) but your vet can show you how to give fluids too. And small subcutaneous doses at home can help keep those metabolites/toxins from climbing to keep Wilbur stable and comfortable for as long as possible.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Wilbur is coming home tonight. They have his creatnine level at 5. It stayed there for the last 2 days. Please tell me I can keep my boy healthy for awhile. This is breaking my heart.

Hello again,

Remember that while the numbers may be elevated, the key is how he is feeling. So, if he feels better with their treatment then that is positive. And I'd suggest that you start all of the above I noted to help his kidneys function as best they can for as long as they can do so.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

*********************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian