Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Second opinion] My 14 year old greyhound has started loosing…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My 14 year...
Second opinion] My 14 year old greyhound has started loosing weight, having diarrhea, drinking lots of water, and wanting to eat all the time. A friend said her dog was having these symptoms and her vet said it was lack of some enzyme. She gives the dog eye drops daily. Something like D3JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Greyhound's name?Customer: TrudyJA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Trudy?Customer: That seems to cover it. It seems to have happened very quickly. She has been in good health.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Trudy. Polyphagia (increased hunger), polydipsia (increased thirst), and weight loss suggest diabetes mellitus or, less commonly, hyperthyroidism at Trudy's age. Diarrhea isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Your friend has mentioned exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) - a lack of digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas. While EPI is possible, polydipsia isn't an expected feature of that disease. Trudy's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and once the test results are back - often within 24 hours - you should know how Trudy might be helped. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian