Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

High liver enzymes but normal function enzymes as per

Customer Question

High liver enzymes but normal function enzymes as per bloodwork
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Vomited heavily the other night and was unable to get up after losing balance and seemed very weak and disoriented.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She does have weak hind quarters and rear leg muscle atrophy.Have seen local vet and givingDenamarin to boost glutathione levels and will recheck livers in 1 week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog has high liver enzymes. Do you have a copy of the blood test you can post here?

I see she is taking Denamarin, a good supplement to try to reduce liver enzymes. Is she on any other medication?

Usually with high liver enzymes, I next do an ultrasound of the liver, in hopes of getting a needle biopsy guided by ultrasound. Then you have a diagnosis of whether is is a liver infection, or inflammation, or (sadly in the case of my own dog with high liver enzymes) liver cancer. Once you have a diagnosis, you know the best treatment.

If she is vomiting you might consider Pepcid or Prilosec; how much does she weigh?

Steroids, antibiotics, and/or a liver medication called ursodiol might be helpful.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have a copy of the labs, but my understanding is the parameters for liver function were ok .The other enzymes were elevated. She had been on Rimadyl for a year or more and my vet switched her to Galiprant 5weeks ago, but no liver tests had been done at that time. Local vet I saw did recommend ultrasound if test in 1 week still shows elevation in liver. The thing is though , my dog is 13-14 years old ,not sure exactly. She doesn't have a lot of time left even if she was healthy.More of a quality of life thing I think at this point. She is a pit bull lab mix and about 75 lbs. Have had her about 5 years ,had been in and out of shelters so I want to do the best for her.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I just would be interested to see how high the liver enzymes were.

Galliprant is supposed to be a safer anti inflammatory with liver disease than Rimadyl.

I am sorry but I can't make calls for the website; that offer did not come from me!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I would still consider the ultrasound if she were mine (my dog was 13 when she developed high liver enzymes). That is the best way to get a diagnosis, and getting a diagnosis is the way to know what treatment is best.

If an ultrasound is not possible, then I usually start these dogs on a combination of Galliprant or prednisone, antibiotics, ursodiol, Denamarin, and vitamin K1. Basically, I treat for every possible treatable liver disease I can.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer. If this is helpful, kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I am assisting you!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I have not heard back from you. How is she doing? Was my answer helpful and can I answer anything else?