Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a female in heat that I want to breed. Unfortunately,

Customer Question
her heat cycle began and...
I have a female in heat that I want to breed. Unfortunately, her heat cycle began and we have to go camping and take both dogs with us. If the dogs are in an enclosure together every day overnight, is this likely to cause problems? Will the keep mating multiple times a day? Is the bitch likely to become aggressive towards the stud in such a scenario?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is this her first heat cycle? Has she been around the male before?

This is not her first cycle, she has been around the male all her life, but previously we would seperate them during the heat cycle to avoid breeding. We fully intend to breed her now.

Okay thanks for the additional information. When you are attempting to breed an animal ideally you would want them to mate multiple times during the heat cycle to maximize fertilization. They may mate multiple times during a day which would only be a problem if they didn't get along. Since she is familiar with the male she will likely get a long with him. But initially you will want to watch them to see how they interact since this will be their first breeding interaction. If they seem fine then they can be enclosed otherwise you may only want supervised matings

Let me know if you have further questions