Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

A beagle 14.3kg 7 years has hurt his tail 7 days ago. the…

Customer Question
a beagle 14.3kg 7 years...
a beagle 14.3kg 7 years has hurt his tail 7 days ago. the vet took xrays and can't find a cause for the pain. the ddiscomfort has increased. he doesn't want to walk, het can't defecate, and keeps his tail in a 90 degree angle about 2 vertebrea fron his bum. vet prescibed Metacam 14 mg 2x a day. rather than improve it got worse.
i have Statex (morphine sulfate) 5mg and 20mg tables. how much can i give him till tomorrow when the vet opens again?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important that X-rays be taken of your dog's lumbar and sacral spine because damage/arthritis in that area rather than his tail should be considered. Lumbosacral stenosis (cauda equina syndrome) and a "slipped disk" between the last lumbar vertebra and sacrum are examples of disorders than can cause tail pain and difficulty defecating. To answer you directly, regular morphine can be dosed at 1 mg/kg (0.5 mg/lb) every 4-6 hours. Sustained release morphine can be dosed at 1-2.5 mg/kg (0.5- 1.25 mg/lb) twice daily. You mustn't break or crush sustained-release morphine as that will turn into immediate release and risk overdose and death. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian