Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I am thinking of going to the hospital with my two year old

Customer Question

I am thinking of going to the hospital with my two year old dog Baby. He is a 70 pound VERY active dog...Lab/Pit/Border collie mix. He is always happy and excited. We went to the park today and he chased his tennis ball for about 10 minutes and then we came home. I don't know if he has pulled a muscle or what, but he is acting painful. He refused dinner, water. He did go outside and poop then came back in and went straight upstairs to his bed. His walk seems normal. He did accept a couple of French fries and is mildly interested in looking at the tennis ball (usually this is massive crazy "let me have the ball" behavior" from him). So the thing that is bothering me most about all of this is his capillary refill time. It seems very slow...3 seconds, maybe 4 seconds? Should I watch him and see how he is in the morning? Does this sound serious?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, but I just touched his back right leg and he cried a little bit. Would pain affect cap refill time?
JA: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the two year old's name?
Customer: BABY
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your two year old?
Customer: He is a healthy, very happy, excitable boy. No problems. okay.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Baby who has been lethargic, off food and water and with a slow cap refill time tonight. There are a number of possible causes for his symptoms tonight, and we need to consider anything from an early gastroenteritis, to an internal organ issue, a toxicity or even trauma of some sort. Continue to do a great job in keep an eye on his capillary refill time tonight. Make sure he has plenty of water and encourage him to drink. If he won't drink at all, then you really do need to try and get him seen today if you can. If he has any breathing issues right now, or if he is particularly lethargic, then please get him seen asap.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just slipped a little water into his mouth with a syringe. I am unsure about running to the hospital because he is following me around now and just seems kind of cowed. I am wondering is he is just not stoic and pulled something? Cap refill time is 2 sec now. He is not sleeping and I am annoying him somewhat, but his respirations are 40 plus per minute. He is not panting. That is me putting my hand on his chest and counting with a stopwatch.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Sorry I can't take a phone call right now. It sounds like he is still agitated and has a high respiratory rate. If you can get him seen now, I would definitely recommend that.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy. How is he doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E