Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My almost 1 year old pitbull is shaking and trembling tell…

Customer Question
My almost 1 year...

My almost 1 year old pitbull is shaking and trembling tell is still wagging acting strange does not want to move

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Pitbull's name?

Rex

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rex?

No he is a very healthy dog has had all of his shots and everything just randomly a couple hours ago started breathing very slow and acting strange shivering and shaking and seems like he is a little disoriented while walking

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Rex is unwell, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic and is shaking and trembling makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in his age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Rex's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Rex is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect elevated temperature ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?