Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My sixteen year old labradoodle can't seem to stand and is

Customer Question

my sixteen year old labradoodle can't seem to stand and is panting. My vet is out of town. My doggie is over 100 pounds and I can't lift her.obviously, I very concerned.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your Labradoodle?
Customer: She can't seem to stand or walk. Seems like a hind leg. She is panting and it's very cool here. She is sixteen years old and around 100#'s. My vet is gone until morning.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Checked her over and can't find anything. Moved the hind leg and she doesn't seem to mind.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Labradoodle?
Customer: She had a stroke about four years ago and seems to recoup, just fine. I'm wondering if she sprained it, she had just been outside.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Labradoodle girl who can't stand and who is panting! I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on with your girl tonight, and given she can't really stand at all, this could be due to a sprain (as you thought), or even due to bad arthritis in one or more of her joints. As she is an older girl, she is bound to have some degree of arthritis here, so it could be that she is now at the point where she is particularly painful.

Whatever the case here, you are going to have to continue to keep a very close eye on her. Hopefully she is drinking water with not problem. For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If she seems to be in quite a bit of pain right now, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet right away if you can. You will likely need some help from a friend or neighbor to get her in to your car however, as it sounds like she is quite a bit girl. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your Labradoodle girl. How is she doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E