Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My terrier mix 22 pound dog, just swallowed a silicone ear…

Customer Question
My terrier mix 22...

My terrier mix 22 pound dog, just swallowed a silicone ear plug. Will it hurt him and pass through, what should I do? I'm

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name and age?

Moe and age is 1 year

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the terrier's name?

Moe moe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your terrier?

Shelter animal from California, spent most of young life abandoned. I have had him for two weeks.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup Moe ate something he should not have, a silicone ear plug.
It may pass but these are not digestible so if he just ate it, it's worth trying to get him to vomit it back up and prevent the need for surgery should it get stuck and cause an obstruction.
You can give him 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread chunks or a little dry dog food (2 &1/2 tablespoons for a pup his size is fine).
Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.
If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the ear plug pieces are present.

To try and settle his stomach after he vomits up the ear plug you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach and reduce the irritation from the peroxide.
Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber if he doesn’t vomit the ear plug to help push the pieces through.
If you don't have peroxide, or it doesn't seem to work for him, and it has been less than 2-3 hours since he ate the ear plug you can get him to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.
If he doesn't vomit it back up or you choose not to take him to an emergency clinic still use the bland diet with pumpkin to try and get the pieces to pass.
If he doesn't vomit the ear plug back up and later he starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Catherine,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian