Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 13 years old, and I thought in good health. 3 days…

Customer Question
My dog is 13...

My dog is 13 years old, and I thought in good health. 3 days ago I came home to find him on the floor with vomit near where he was. I cant get to my vet because there closed till tomorrow, he just lays in the same spot where I made a bed for him and has not eaten in three days. he drinks a little water but has vomited that up a couple times, I only gave him a little water but I have carried him outside and he has urinated a few times and had one bowl movement but not much. his eyes are cloudy and its like he cant see me he jus responds to my voice.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

This dog never turns down food, ever so I know something is really wrong

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 13 year old dog who is severely lethargic and vomiting. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Your dog's symptoms are a real concern here, and there are a number of things that could be going on here with him over the last few days. We need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Given his age, we also need to consider an internal organ issue, a tumor somewhere or even an endocrine problem. Whatever the case, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over straight away.

For now, make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As he is likely still very nauseous, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with your boy and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hi again,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy. How is he doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc