Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate a condom about 7 hours ago. Zachary. 8 years old.

Customer Question
Hi. My dog ate a...
Hi. My dog ate a condom about 7 hours ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zachary. 8 years old. He's a maltese/yorkie mix. About 13 poinds pounds
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zachary?
Customer: No, he is otherwise healthy
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Strangely enough for dogs to eat condoms is quite a common event, it have dealt with this quite a few times in the past and in all the case the condom just passed on it's own over a 24 - 48 period and the affected dogs did not suffer and adverse effects.

2. Given the above there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on Zachary. That said there is a very outside chance that this could cause a problem such as abdominal tract obstruction so look out for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, lack of appetite and signs of abdominal pain, and of course have him checked over by a local vet if you have any concerns.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if in the very unlikely event that Zachary's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Zachary is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the condom issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian