Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We found a dog maybe 3 months old, has a bloated belly and…

Customer Question
We found a dog...

We found a dog maybe 3 months old, has a bloated belly and soft poop. We checked his poop for worm, there were none?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Spotty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

This all we have noticed so far. He's playful, eats and is drinking water

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Congratulations on your new addition! I hope you have many happy years together :)

Even if you don't see evidence of worms in the stool, almost 100% of puppies do have worms so deworming with pyrantel is advised (strongid) which is available at your veterinarian, local pet store or feed store as well. You want to deworm at least 2-3 times 10-14 days apart if you are able and this is when there is a good likelihood that you will see worms in the stool

If the pot belly is still evident then it would be prudent to run bloodwork on him and please get him vaccinated at 12 weeks old, a 5 way core vaccination with an exam from your veterinarian to ensure nothing is missed is key.

Please let me know any questions you may have, enjoy your new addition Spotty!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad you were able to view my response. I am online another 30 minutes if I can be of any further assistance