Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has always reverse sneezed ever since he was a baby…

Customer Question
My dog has always...

My dog has always reverse sneezed ever since he was a baby they have been getting worse he just had one right now but he vomited first what should i do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No he did not

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Hes name is ***** ***** is about to be 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jayden

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jayden?

No just the breathing problem im concerned about

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Jayden who has had reverse sneezing issues all his life, but who has had some vomiting before tonight's episdoe. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. It sounds like it isn't too uncommon for Jayden to have these reverse sneezing episodes. The real issue tonight is the vomiting relating to the latest episode of reverse sneezing. Hopefully your boy has settled now, but you are going to have to continue to keep a close eye on him tonight. For now, keep him quiet, comfortable and rested inside. If the reverse sneezing is still going, this is a bit of a worry, but hopefully it has stopped now. Make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink.

If he seems nauseous still right now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If the vomiting continues, or he can't settle, then do get him seen tonight. Hopefully this was just a once off episode of vomiting! I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Hi again Edith,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Jayden. How is he doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian