Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate 10mg of melatonin. She is a 54lbs Great Dane 4…

Customer Question
My dog ate 10mg of...
My dog ate 10mg of melatonin. She is a 54lbs Great Dane 4 months old. Will it hurt her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!

Hello again,

The chances are your Dane will be just fine, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, Melatonin is sometimes prescribed for dogs and 10 mg could well be within the dose range for a dog of your one's size, so really no adverse side effects will be expected. In any case Melatonin has a very high margin of safety in dogs and I have know dogs swallow quite high doses, in fact many times the dose your dog took today without problem.

2. Given the above there are no special measures you need take. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that your Dane's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Just checking back in to see how things are going ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Dane is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Melatonin incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?