Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Was bitten by rattlesmake last nigh in face..he s a

Customer Question
Was bitten by rattlesmake...

Was bitten by rattlesmake last nigh in face..he s a jack..excellent health..he killed it..we are in rural area..no way to get to vet..I ve given him benadryl,baby aspirin and some antibiotics that were given for my animals. .I Don t have my glasses on..finding now..he s alert...but breathing harder and jumpy..his eye is bleeding. ..not sure if under or actually in eye..he is drinking water..the swelling was immense this am..did not know he had been bitten till then and found the snake on back steps

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No only spots n drops

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?

It s bacteria ds I gave him

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Bactrim

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Hi name is ***** ***** a short legged jack..real muscular about 20 plus lbs..he s over 10...but you d never guess..
How much oxycodone can I give for pain
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your JR. I understand your logistical constraints but I'm ethically bound to post the following:

All dogs that are bitten by a snake, regardless of their apparent hemodynamic stability, should be hospitalized for a minimum of 8 hours to assess for clinical signs that may first manifest during this period. IV fluid therapy is the first line of therapy to treat hypotension (low blood pressure) or hypovolemic shock (shock due to cardiovascular collapse). Antivenom should be administered immediately; increased survival is seen when it's given close to the time of the bite but beneficial effects are noted for at least 60 hours after envenomation.

There is little of value that can be done for these dogs at home. Antihistamines are contraindicated as they can potentiate some venoms. Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food at 12 hour intervals may be palliative. You can dose oxycodone at 0.05 mg per pound of body weight at 6-12 hour intervals - 1 mg every 6-12 hours for him - which should provide far better analgesia than the aspirin although you can give the drugs concomitantly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish but I'd rather you were on your way to a veterinary ER.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian