Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I took him in to the vet yesterday because he kept yelping…

Customer Question
I took him in...

I took him in to the vet yesterday because he kept yelping in pain any time he yawned or tried to open his mouth. The vet found a foxtail stuck deep down in his ear and sedated him to remove it. So this morning he went to yawn again and the yelping in pain continued. I tried to give him some pain medication and tried to open his mouth and the crying got worse.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He's a golden retriever

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the golden retriever's name and age?

Lucas and he's a year a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Lucas?

A year and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucas?

No, he's been pretty healthy so far. Just recently the discomfort in his mouth, head area

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today. Please ignore the request for the phone call that appears as the website generates this automatically. We can continue talking in the chat format.

The ear is a very sensitive area so it is going to take time for the area to heal, even though the foxtail was removed. The inner ear is near where the two jaw bones meet so opening is mouth is likely going to be quite sensitive. The vet prescribed a pain/anti-inflammatory medication, correct?

No they didn't prescribe him any medicine.
I had some carprofen from when he got neutered and was going to give him that but he wouldn't take it with hot dog and I tried opening his mouth and that's when he cried

Ok, I understand. Sorry, I had stepped away from my computer for a moment. It will be extremely beneficial to try to get him to take that. That is what will give him the most relief. I would continue to try to give it to him in different thing -- peanut butter, cheese

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian