Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My blue heeler puppy is 7 months old seems to all the sudden…

Customer Question
My blue heeler puppy...

My blue heeler puppy is 7 months old seems to all the sudden be lethargic and it'll dizzy and just wants to lay down seems dizzy lethargic and just want to lay down has a very warm nose and has a warm nose usually full of energy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Tasmania

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tasmania?

She was full of energy last night and a little bit this morning she sleeps in my house she sleeps in the house but we're definitely not herself she's had a couple burst of energy and then she's just been laying around 4 5 6 hours when she sits up her head bottles back and forth when she sits up her head bobbles back and forth

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Any chance of a fall or head trauma?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any head tilt or trying to circle when walking?

Has she been eating and drinking normally?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

gums are pink was full of energy when she went to sleep last night had a couple burst of energy this morning when I took them outside she did not go crazy like usual Blue Heelers are full of energy when I look back at her she was sitting down and her head was bobbing back and forth I kind of wondered if she had got into one of my pills also but I can't find any missing her nose is warm and she just wants to lay around we had her fixed 3 weeks ago but the wound seems to be fine and she has taken all of her antibiotics I can't think of anything out she could have got into at night click-of-a time for me to get inside two outside I was also wondering if it could be a spider bite but I didn't know if that would make her nose as long as it is but her gums are kind of clammy

Hello again,

Now I am quite concerned about Tasmania.

For her to be so depressed, dizzy, and with head bobbing suggests a possible neurological issue. At her age, this can be caused by low blood sugar or anemia (less likely if her gums are pink); but it also can be due to inner ear infections, brain lesions (bleeds from trauma, swellings, infections, etc), toxins (many pills can trigger these kinds of signs) or underlying organ issues (ie liver, heart).

With this in all in mind, the first thing we need to do since she is weak and lethargic is to try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up for us. If she perks up, we need to keep her eating/drinking and hopefully won't see a relapse. But if she doesn't respond to that, then it would be safest to have her local vet see her urgently so we can get to the root of this quickly. Ideally, we'd want a full neurological examination to help localize which system is involved here. If toxins are suspect, then fluids can be used to flush them out. If organ issues are a concern, blood testing can confirm them. And for infections and inflammation, her vet can start antibiotics and anti-inflammatories to reduce these signs. Of course, for severe cases we do sometimes need them to see a neurologist for an MRI and spinal tap; but we'd hope that isn't necessary for Tasmania. But as these signs raise some serious concerns we'd really want to have her seen if glucose supplementation doesn't settle her signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )