Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pug had her flea medicine- simparica - dose 3 days ago…

Customer Question
My pug had her...

My pug had her flea medicine- simparica - dose 3 days ago and today she ate the great dane's dose----- so a 88-132 pound dose... I cannot find what to do...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your Great Dane will be able to digest that. What is the Great Dane's name?

It's the pug that took the additional dose.. Her name is hazel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hazel?

Only that she took 4 times her weight of the medicine

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Here's what you need to know: In a margin of safety study, Simparica was administered orally to 8 week old Beagle puppies at doses of 0, 1, 3, and 5 times the maximum exposure dose of 4 mg/kg at 28 day intervals for 10 doses. No adverse effects were observed at the maximum exposure dose of 4 mg/kg. In the overdose groups, transient and self-limiting neurological signs were observed in some animals: mild tremors at 3 times the maximum exposure dose and convulsions at 5 times the maximum exposure dose. All dogs recovered without treatment.

A 4 times overdose, then, might cause tremors but not convulsions. If she ingested that dose within a couple of hours it would be prudent to induce emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If she doesn't vomit after 2 doses.... Do I do anything further??

No, you'll have irritated her stomach lining enough and so more peroxide is more harmful than helpful. Remember, all dogs - even those that convulsed recovered without treatment. How much does she weigh, please? I might be able to prognose better if I can determine her mg/kg dose she ingested.

In dogs neurological effects were noted at doses of 20 mg/kg (convulsions, tremors and ataxia) and 12 mg/kg (tremors, ataxia). Signs appeared to occur primarily in the first 24 hours after dosing and resolved without treatment. No effects on the nervous system were observed in any animal at 4 mg/kg.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She weighs 16 pounds and took her pill of 11.1-22.0 3 days ago. Today snagged the Dane's pull of 88.1-132.0 punds
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
pounds
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Dane's pill of 88.1-132.0 pounds

Thank you. That's a total of 140 mg within 3 days which is equivalent to 19.4 mg/kg - very close to the dose that can cause convulsions and expected to at least cause tremors and ataxia ("drunken sailor"). There's no specific antidote. Treatment consists of decontamination by emesis and then administration of activated charcoal (stomach tubed by a vet) and then any neurologic symptoms are treated with benzodiazepines or anticonvulsants as need be. I would admit Hazel to a 24-hour facility if possible. Her prognosis is good treated or not but she could be treated in a manner in which serious symptoms shouldn't arise. Please continue our conversation if you wish.