Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We rescued an older puppy. 1 st day home which was Friday he…

Customer Question
We rescued an older...

We rescued an older puppy. 1 st day home which was Friday he had a pork bone to treat him. We also forgot to get puppy goid so has been eating what our older dogs ear which is grain free fish and potatoe dog food. He's very active no vomiting does his puppy naps. He started having mucusy diarrhea yesterday morning-Saturday then today it looked like raspberry jam. But other than that he acts completed like a puppy. I'm confused as to what's wrong with him. We ha

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

Just a huge pork dog bone like you buy at Tractor supply and the different dog food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Cane

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

He was found tied up to a Thursday with a bunjy cord laying in ants and a lady rescued him but couldn't keep him so we took him in to foster him

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today. Please ignore the request for the phone call that appears as the website generates this automatically. We can continue talking in the chat format. There are a few things that can be causing the stools you are seeing.

Diarrhea can be caused by many different things but one of those is a change in diet. If the diet was not switched from old to new over a gradual time period, it can cause the stomach and intestines to be inflamed. This inflammation can cause diarrhea as well as blood in the diarrhea. This can be from eating the adult food but the pork bone is more of a likely cause. This is very strong for a dog to handle, especially if they are not used to eating this type of thing. Diarrhea is very common afterwards.

The same type of bloody diarrhea can occur from stress, such as moving to a new home. We call this stress colitis. In addition, we do not know if the puppy has been dewormed or vaccinated so that is a concern as well. Eventually he will need to go to the vet to have his fecal sample assessed for worms. In the meantime, we can start trying to settle his tummy.

This condition is managed with bland diet and medication. The bland diet can be cooked at home with bland, white chicken breast with NO SEASONING or lean cooked ground beef NO SEASONING and plain white rice. You can also use a prescription bland diet such and I/D, W/D or Royal canin gastrointestinal formula. I recommend small, frequent meals, to get the GI tract back on track. Do not continue to feed more food too quickly as this can cause a setback. Once the diarrhea is resolved, you can slowly mix in more of the dog food and mix out some of the rice mixture. This transition needs to be over a few days so we can watch for diarrhea to return.

Sometimes diet is enough to help but other times pets need a medication called metronidazole or metronidazole and amoxicillin to stop the bloody diarrhea. This needs to be prescribe from a veterinarian.

If further signs develop such as vomiting, decreased energy level or no appetite, further tests need to be completed to be sure something more severe is not going on, such as pancreatitis, something foreign stuck in the GI tract, etc.

Let me know when you return so we can discuss further questions you have.

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian