Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5-year-old shar pei/shepherd mix has a dime-size hole in…

My 5-year-old shar pei/shepherd mix...
My 5-year-old shar pei/shepherd mix has a dime-size hole in his flesh on his chest where it meets his right front leg. No idea what caused this hole. Doesn't seem like a rip or cut. Perfectly circular. I've flushed it with salt water and a hydrogen peroxide flush. I filled the hole with antibiotic ointment and covered it with petroleum jelly (in case it is bot flies). Don't see anything in the hole. Can't get to the vet until tomorrow. Please advise!
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2017
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today. Please ignore the request for the phone call that appears as the website generates this automatically. We can continue talking in the chat format. Are you able to take a photo and attach so I can see what this looks like?

Whoops, my apologizes, I did not mean to attach that photo. I was going to show you an example of a hot spot in case you couldn't attach a photo.

I live in the suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts. Yesterday Gus chased a rabbit around the park, which is why we thought maybe it had something to do with a botfly. But we don't see any larva or anything.
It's about 1/4 inch deep if not more.

The outer area is quite red and looks like the start of a hot spot, but the wound itself does not. The edges are pretty fresh, although still small. It does not look like a typical bot fly wound (cuterebra) though. The hole would be quite large for that unless he managed to chew the larva out already. It also doesn't look too deep. It looks more like something caught him, either while running or a bite. Was he sensitive when you cleaned it out?

Can you tell if it creates a pocket underneath or are the edges still attached to the tissue all the way around the wound?

He is sensitive when cleaning it, but that's nothing unusual with him. We can't quite tell if it's attached. It seems like it mostly is except one small part. Attaching another photo. Doesn't seem like there's a pocket.
There hasn't been any blood. Even from the time I first saw the wound.

Ok. With the edges being rounded off, it is already trying to heal. It is ok that you won't be able to go to the vet today. We can continuing to manage it at home. We may not know exactly what caused it initially but treatment will be the same today. First off, be sure he can't lick at it. That is very important. Continue to clean three times a day with the hydrogen peroxide, followed by the antibiotic ointment. Typically a wound with edges of that appearance either needs to heal on it's own, or have fresh edges started and sutured closed under anesthesia. This is something your vet would be able to do in the next few days if the wound is not beginning to close more on its own. Oral antibiotics would be able to be started at that time as well. I would not expect the wound to expand, unless he is licking at it.

Thank you very much. I put a cone on him that I had from a friend. He got it off once on his own but we put it on tighter and he hasn't gotten it off yet. I have to leave the house for a couple of hours and I'm afraid he's going to try to get the cone off while I'm gone. Is it safe to give him Benadryl to help calm him down an rest while I'm gone?

yes, that would be fine. How much does he weigh?

70lbs

Ok, you can give him 2 human sized tablets or capsules and this can be given twice a day if needed.

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian