Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My elderly dog (16years) has loose stools and vomited this…

Customer Question
My elderly dog (16years)...

My elderly dog (16years) has loose stools and vomited this am. I took him on a short walk this am and he managed it. What can I do for him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He has some kind of growth (black and sticky) on his tail that a vet did not seem to be concerned about. I have been treating it with Hydrogen Peroxide and it has been slowly shrinking.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about your dog having loose stools, and vomiting. Is he eating, and drinking?

If you lift his lip and look at his gums, are they pink in color or do they look pale to you?

He last ate yesterday early pm. His gums looks dark pink.

Good his gums are not pale.

Vomiting and diarrhea can be a sign of a brief illness: an infection, something he ate. However, and especially in an older dog, it can be a sign of internal illness.

Until you can get him checked out, you can try Prilosec or Pepcid AC for vomiting; how much does he weigh?

He weighs about thirty pounds.

I am so sorry you got a phone offer from the website; it was not from me. I am not able to make calls.

Please let me know his weight.

Thanks; 30 pounds.

He can take 5 mg Pepcid or 10 mg Prilosec twice daily for vomiting.

Try to keep him hydrated by offering broth, ice chips, water, Pedialyte.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

I have not heard back from you; how is he doing? Please let me know if this was helpful and if you have any other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian