Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog's temp. is normal, has a cold and wet nose, but he does not want to move and threw up everything he had last night..

Customer Question
His temp. is normal, has...
His temp. is normal, has a cold and wet nose, but he does not want to move and threw up everything he had last night.. He is a shepherd mix and around 9 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Shepherd eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. He was fine last night and this morning he doesn't want to eat or move.
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Shepherd's name?
Customer: Troy.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Troy?
Customer: Not that I can think of. He is just a good boy and we love him dearly. He was a rescue.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Any diarrhea?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- How much does he weigh?

He weighs approx. 80 lbs. and no to the rest of the questions.
He is breathing very fast as though he was hot.

1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

2- Can you take his rectal temperature?

I have already taken his temp and his gums are pink. His temp is 101.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when a dog is vomiting and lethargic to the point that is reluctant or unwilling to walk this can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, kidney or liver disease, tumors, etc. to name a few causes. In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, blood work, and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If possible, I would have him checked today by ER veterinarian. In the meantime, you can start him on Pepcid AC (famotidinde) 20mg every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy; this will help with the vomiting.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian