Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My German shepherd 10 month old got into Triamcianolone

Customer Question
My German shepherd 10...

My German shepherd 10 month old got into Triamcianolone acetone cream ide usp 1% not sure how much she actually ingested or exactly when just know since 7 this morning. What should I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your German shepherd will be able to digest that. What is the German shepherd's name?

It is a cream used for sun poisoning and ecezma

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your German shepherd?

She has no issues

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Good news, this is just a steroid cream so if anything we could just see GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea), increased thirst, or urinary accidents if she did eat quite a bit of this. So while we could induce vomiting if this happened less than 2 hours ago or use activated charcoal at this point (which I am happy to discuss), we don't strictly need to. You can choose to just take things easy and monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, to protect the stomach from the steroid and counter nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again this isn't a overly worrisome ingestion and we'd just want to start supportive care for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

We will just watch her. She seems to be good as of now. Running and playing

Grand, that is good that she is and that sounds like a fine plan of action.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian