Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

7 mo old icelandic sheepdog has been having mucous-y

Customer Question

7 mo old icelandic sheepdog has been having mucous-y vomiting mostly in the am (?) no other symptoms
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs? Only in the morning?

Can he keep any food and water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He keeps everything down. Gums white pale and a sticky I guess. No seemingly tensing or tenderness. (He thinks this is a game) he chews things eats paper stuffing and has chewed flip flops. Bowels move normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Oh dear,

Now I have to say that I am quite worried about your lad. If his gums are white, this is an emergency sign. We can see it with heart and lung issues; but given his vomiting this would be more a worry that he may have an internal bleed (possibly from eating something sharp or caustic), stomach ulcer, or low red blood cell levels from other issues (ie bone marrow disease, immune attack of the cells, etc). So, if those gums are white when they should be pink like ours, we need him seen right away.

Any delay and you can try to soothe his stomach but again with white gums we are in a precarious position. But to reduce stomach acid (if we have a bleeding ulcer) and nausea, we can use an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Afterwards, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free).

Overall, white gums ring major alarm bells here. So we'd need him seen right away. Any delay and the above can be used to at least help the vomiting but we’d want to have his vet involved to check for those above bleed worries and make sure we head off any risk of collapse from this.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They are a pale pink I guess
I never paid that much attention to them lighter than my old guy but different coloring he does keep food down and seems fine I will schedule something with my vet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

If they aren't pure white but just a bit pale, keep a close eye. You are welcome to post a photo and I will look for you. We just don't want them paling more as the above are real concerns.

Otherwise, do use the antacids and light diet just now as those should help with most benign gut upset issues but also reduce signs even if we have a gut infection, pancreatitis, or dietary indiscretion. Of course, if the signs linger over the weekend, then we'd want him checked for these and just to make sure we dont' have to worry about those more serious issues for him either.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
Hi Heidi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Heidi A Pickard. How is everything going?

Dr. B.