Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog leaks a clear fluid. She has had her anal glands

Customer Question

My dog leaks a clear fluid . She has had her anal glands extracted but continues to leak but not all the time, especially on one chair.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: Thanks
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't hurt. She acts fine
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bitsy is about 6 years old- not sure since she is a rescue dogged name is ***** ***** is around 6 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: She is a min pin
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She is a rescue dog. We have had her about 4 years
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If the clear fluid is seen to come from Bitsy's anus, it represents colonic mucus which is formed in excess when a colitis exists. This may be transient or even physiological (normal) in which case no treatment is necessary. However, if it persists and particularly if stools become diarrheic and/or Bitsy's quality of life is affected, her vet can presumptively treat a colitis with metronidazole or tylosin or "work up" such a patient with blood, urine, and fecal tests in an attempt to clarify why excess mucus is being produced. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.