Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just found some rat poison in the yard she put it…

Customer Question
Hello my dog just...

Hello my dog just found some rat poison in the yard she put it into her mouth, however she didn't swollow much of it the poison is 0.005$ bromadiolone my dog is 30 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

It is "garden top pasta" rodent poison https://www.amazon.it/GARDENTOP-PLUS-TOPICIDA-DOSI-GRAMMI/dp/B00QTEOQDI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 her teeth punctured the bag, and some of it may have gotten in her mouth or gone down her thoat this was about 10 minutes ago

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now while its good that is a low concentration rat poison, its how much she has had that will be key. If she has had more than 15mg of the poison that would be enough to be fatal for her or at least cause serious internal bleeding. Of course, we could still see signs if she had more than 0.2mg which could be bleeding from orifices or internally, breathing changes, weakness and paling of the gums.

With this in mind and since she only had this 10 minutes ago,w e can intervene. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And once her vet is open, we'd be best to get her seen with a view to having Vitamin K1 started to just keep her clotting normally as this runs through her system in the next few weeks.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian